GottaDEAL 2022 Black Friday Prize Club Thread

Brad

bah...

Sometimes I forget to do some things I've been looking forward to doing for quite awhile.

This year is my first year with a garden box at Marymoor Community Garden. I planted my first ever heirloom tomatoes, two Chocolate Stripes from starts by the local TomatoLady.

We got a late start due to waiting for the boxes to be constructed, but the plants are thriving and are full of fruit, although most are still green. However, I just cut into the first ripe tomato, which is delicious!

...but I forgot to take any photos.

Hopefully I'll remember with the next one. It's an unusual coloring.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though this year's prize has been sent out, I'm missing the off topic updates from everyone. What have y'all been up to?

Our extended dry summer here on the Eastside of Seattle was predicted to end Thursday night/Friday morning with the prediction of our day long gray skies and all day mist/rain returning. Yay! The air quality here from wildfires, and the fires themselves, have been awful. I have been taking advantage of the dry weather, and left my tomatoes on the vine, as they were planted late and most of them are still green and hard as rocks.

This novice gardener has heard I can still ripen my tomatoes 'on the vine' by clipping them, bundling them together, and hanging them upside down in a protected space. I spent Thursday afternoon doing so, and wound up with three hanging bundles, as well as a window ledge of tomatoes which fell off the vine wrapped in newspaper.

PXL-20221022-180219927.jpg

PXL-20221022-180337575.jpg

I'm glad I got this done, as yesterday morning we had a pretty intense hail storm for about 5 minutes. If it hailed as hard in the community garden where my box garden is located, I think I would have lost most, if not all, of the tomatoes. I need to drive by and see how my collard greens and chard weathered the hail storm. But, I've been told those vegetables are hardy and can go through the first frost, so I'm hoping if slightly damaged that they'll bounce back.

Has anyone else done this with tomatoes? Does it work?

Happy Halloween everyone!  Carrying on the family tradition of pizza and brownies for dinner tonight.  Brownies are in the oven and I’m trying to decide where to order pizza from and do an advanced order so maybe I’ll have it by bedtime tonight.  LOL.

in the meantime I’m getting super antsy about shopping without any ads to look at! I mean one can o lay look at a the Macy’s and Belk ads so many times.  :)

• Like 2

Happy Halloween everyone!  Carrying on the family tradition of pizza and brownies for dinner tonight.  Brownies are in the oven and I’m trying to decide where to order pizza from and do an advanced order so maybe I’ll have it by bedtime tonight.  LOL.

in the meantime I’m getting super antsy about shopping without any ads to look at! I mean one can o lay look at a the Macy’s and Belk ads so many times.   :)

MMMM. It's lunchtime, and pizza and brownies suddenly sound really good. :)

• Like 1